b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Machir and the Exodus ?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Karl Randolph" <kwrandolph AT email.com>
  • To: "Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Machir and the Exodus ?
  • Date: Sat, 04 Sep 2004 19:30:03 -0500

George:

The general term )RC did not refer specifically to the land of Canaan, rather
to any land. For example, Genesis 41:30, 31, 34 uses )RC which, in context,
refers to Egypt and not Canaan.

Where a specific, named land was meant, we find )RC followed by the name of
the country unless the context otherwise indicates the land’s identity. I
don’t know when )RC when unnamed started to refer specifically to the land of
Israel or of Judea, but as far as I can tell, that practice started after
Tanakh was completed. As I mentioned in an earlier message, the phrase B)RC
WBMDBR on the “Josiah Stone” was one of the signs that the stone is a fake.

Taken by itself, 1 Chronicles 7:20–24 gives no indication where the event
occured. But taking the total context that includes Genesis and Exodus, the
events most likely occured in Egypt and the phrase )N$Y GT HNWLDYM B)RC
refers to Egyptian born sons of immigrants from Gath.

Karl W. Randolph.