b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Machir and the Exodus ?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Karl Randolph" <kwrandolph AT email.com>
  • To: "Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Machir and the Exodus ?
  • Date: Mon, 06 Sep 2004 18:05:59 -0500

Uh, Peter:

(M H)RC is used for the people of Egypt, Genesis 42:6 and Exodus 5:5 the
pharaoh refers to Israel living in Egypt as (M H)RC. I wouldn’t be surprised
if I can find more examples.

As for context, I didn’t say immediate context, though when Israel was told
to ascend and take possession of the land, the land they were to possess was
already defined elsewhere so the “take possession” acts as an identifier.

Karl W. Randolph.