b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Machir and the Exodus ?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Karl Randolph" <kwrandolph AT email.com>
  • To: "b-hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Machir and the Exodus ?
  • Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2004 12:33:54 -0500

George:

The Deuteronomist, i.e. the guy who wrote most of the book of Deuteronomy,
was Moses, who wrote by present guesstimation about 1400 BC. The book of
Chronicles was written after the Galut Babel, about 5–400 BC. Unless Moses
went into hiding and lived for over a millennium, he, i.e. “the
Deuteronomist”, did not author Chronicles, someone else did.

Secondly, Moses’ use of “the land” in Deuteronomy was almost universally
identified by its context as the land Israel was to possess, written before
Israel went up to possess it, previously identified as Canaan; in contrast,
the land in 1 Chronicles 7:21 is not identified. The men were simply called,
“men of Gath born in the land”. Different people interpret that in different
ways.

It sounds like your objection to my reading of the text is based on modern
philosophies, not linguistic or other grounds.

Karl W. Randolph.