b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Machir and the Exodus ?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Karl Randolph" <kwrandolph AT email.com>
  • To: "Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Machir and the Exodus ?
  • Date: Wed, 08 Sep 2004 16:02:26 -0500

George:

I live in an area where there are many immigrants from Hong Kong and China.
When they view their children who were born and grew up here, they see
“Chinese” people. Even many of the children in this day of multiculturalism
and political correctness see themselves as “Chinese” even though many don’t
speak Chinese or speak it very poorly. Sometimes they are refered to as
ABC—American Born Chinese—as acknowledgement to birth place. But in previous
times when people tended to gather in groups, communities could maintain
their ethnic, social and linguistic identities over a few generations, even
after immigrating to a different country. Many of the older immigrants never
needed to learn English for that very reason.

My grandparents, who were brought here by their parents, grew up in
non-English speaking communities.

So to give a statement that sounds similar to the phrase in question, “The
Chinese born in this land are called ABCs.”

Karl W. Randolph.