b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Machir and the Exodus ?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Karl Randolph" <kwrandolph AT email.com>
  • To: "George F. Somsel" <gfsomsel AT juno.com>, peterkirk AT qaya.org
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Machir and the Exodus ?
  • Date: Fri, 03 Sep 2004 13:27:57 -0500

George:

The question is not the identity of Ephraim, nor that of his son Bery'ah, but
how should we read the text?

I understand that Chronicles was written after the Babylonian Exile, making
use of the genealogical tables that were still extant at that time (notice
their use in Ezra). As such, it is no surprise to find names out of temporal
sequence, much the same was as if I were to write about Henry Hudson's visit
to New York.

My reading of the text indicates that the event of Ephraim losing his sons
occured in Egypt itself, not in Canaan. Further, the "men of Gath" were the
Egyptian born sons of people from Gath who had settled in Egypt.

But who was this "daughter" $)RH and how does she fit in the picture? Was she
a notable descendant mentioned because she founded the towns in Canaan after
the Exodus under Moses? Or was she an immediate daughter of Ephraim, and the
towns in question were temporary towns for Israelites while still in Egypt?
Right now, I lean towards the former.

The conclusion is not so obvious.

Karl W. Randolph.