b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Ark of the Covenant

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: MarianneLuban AT aol.com
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Ark of the Covenant
  • Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2004 20:51:33 EDT

In a message dated 8/20/2004 2:33:56 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
peterkirk AT qaya.org writes:

> >Does this come from some midrash--or what? Just someone's imagination?
> >

> Maybe. But your imagination sometimes seems just as fertile as this one.

Excuse me but--how with your present knowledge of ancient Egypt are you in a
position to distinguish just what is my imagination and what is not? This is
starting to become ad hominem mud-slinging--and has deteriorated to where it
no longer resembles a scholarly discussion. Look--there are people here
discussing Biblical Hebrew. I know Hebrew but have the humility not to
contradict
anything said by them because I do not know the territory. I am not their
equal in this area and must be content to read their posts and absorb what is
there. Sure--I could jump right in and make them defend every one of their
assertions on some pretext or another--but what for? Do you think it might
be
possible for you to write with a little more humility when it comes to
ancient
Egyptian matters? Unless you believe you are my equal in scholarship in this
field.