b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Ark of the covenant

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter Kirk <peterkirk AT qaya.org>
  • To: Michael Banyai <Banyai AT t-online.de>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Ark of the covenant
  • Date: Sat, 21 Aug 2004 22:48:26 +0100

On 21/08/2004 22:02, Michael Banyai wrote:

Dear Marianne,

we are entirely sharing the same idea concerning the historicity of the
exodus. As I see we just diferr about the concrete solution for this event,
which we both conect with the eruption activity of the Theran vulcano. I am
embracing the view that the exodus had to happen during the MBIIB-C as
according also to ManningĀ“s view this eruption hapenned. I found too literary
references from this period most probably to be conected with the exodus. As
a matter of fact, once one leaves aside the reference to an exodus 480 years
before the building of the Jerusalem temple, are all chronological references
in the biblical sources in favor of a high chronology. That is about 1622 BC.

So are you in fact agreeing with David Rohl that the Exodus took place at the time of Dudimose at the end of the 13th dynasty? I know you don't agree on the absolute date. Do your literary references include Manetho's to Tutimaos? How about Artapanus' link between Moses and "Khenephres", perhaps = Sobekhotep IV? Of course there is a small problem that there were no less than 12 Pharaohs between Sobekhotep IV and Dudimose, rather a lot to squeeze into Moses' adult life. (But then wonders can be done with co-regencies.)

--
Peter Kirk
peter AT qaya.org (personal)