b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Hatshepsut and Avaris (later called Rameses)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: MarianneLuban AT aol.com
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Hatshepsut and Avaris (later called Rameses)
  • Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2004 20:41:48 EDT

In a message dated 8/20/2004 3:14:01 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
mattfeld12 AT charter.net writes:

> None of this "proves" that the Hyksos were still at Avaris and vicinity,
> only that an Egyptian settlement existed in the area in Hatshepsut and
> Amenhotep II's days. Bietak understood Ahmose I was responsible for the
> initial settlement and fortress.

Of Avaris? No. Here is the deal--and I quote from my own book--"Dr. Manfred
Bietak's excavation at the site he believes to be Avaris saw a Canaanite
settlement in the 13th Dynasty with expansion during the Second Intermediate
Period (fn: With Avaris becoming one of the largest cities in Egypt). He
further
has concluded that a reoccupation of the Hysos citadel took place in the
early
18th Dynasty that may have been a royal habitation of the time of Ahmose I.
Minoan-style paintings are seen in that stratum, which resemble the artwork
at
Thera, a volcanic island in the Aegean..."

After my book had gone to press--Bietak announced he had changed his mind.
This is from my "addenda" page to my book:

http://www.geocities.com/scribelist/addenda.html

"Recently, in relation to his ongoing excavation at Tell el Daba, which he
believes to be the site of ancient Avaris, Manfred Bietak has rescinded his
former assertion that the stratum in which Minoan artifacts, decorations and
volcanic pumice were discovered belongs to the time of the pharaoh, Ahmose I.

Bietak now concludes this stratum can be assigned to the reign of Thutmose
III,
instead. Bietak also dates the eruption of Thera to ca. 1500 BCE, in light
of
his new theory, and takes issue with those who place the cataclysmic event to
about 130 years earlier. In brief, Bietak now wishes to eliminate any
chronological problems connected with his newer theory. Even if he is
correct and
there was no volcanic blast in the Aegean at the time of King Ahmose, there
still remains the unaccountably bad weather and flooding during his reign, as
recorded by himself.
And then there is the interesting premise of the Thera volcano devastation
while a "Tethmosis" was pharaoh, two disasters having then occurred within a
half century--or less."