b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Timing of Thera volcano

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Dora Smith" <villandra AT austin.rr.com>
  • To: "Stephen Segall" <segall AT umich.edu>, "Karl Randolph" <kwrandolph AT email.com>
  • Cc: b-hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Timing of Thera volcano
  • Date: Tue, 24 Aug 2004 11:33:04 -0500

I have references to those studies somewhere; possibly not in electronic
format.

But they are not ironclad; there is no reliable way to date them from the
present. There isn't a true calendar going back to 1600 BCE.

I don't konw if you are aware of all of the archeological work on the
subject. Some of it places the Thera eruption pretty closely by pure logic.

Pumice from the eruption was used in temple workshops belonging to the
reigns of sometime between Thutmoses I and Thutmosis III. That does not
necessarily mean it happened only a short time before then.

However, we know that a generation or two after Thera, Mycenaens conquered
Crete. Artwork of Minoans and their sailing vessels in tombs of Tuthmosis
III and his mother, and their officials, show that this changeover occurred
at some time during their reigns. This does cover a considerable period of
time.

Similarly, pottery and whatnot bearing their names turns up in Mycenean
ruins on Crete, I believe I have that all right.

So Thera probably occurred between the reign of Ahmoses I (maybe even his
expulsion of the Hyksos), and the early part of the reign of Tuthmosis III.

Yours,
Dora Smith
Austin, Texas
villandra AT austin.rr.com