b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Ark of the covenant

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Banyai AT t-online.de (Michael Banyai)
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Ark of the covenant
  • Date: 21 Aug 2004 17:01 GMT

I suppose you miss the point Marianne. You use the stratum where the Theran
pumice was found as a marker for the date as the eruption took place. But
since there is more than only Theran pumice in Tel ed Dab´a, and we can not
suppose that all these vulcanos erupted at the same time, the stratum of the
occurence of this pumice is chronologically irelevant for the eruption. The
way how the pumice may have found its way to Tel ed Dab´a is open to
conjecture, but it is clear it is not the direct result of the eruption.

The stratum is only a datum ante quem for the eruption. Should you consider
it to be a date for the eruption itself, the same should be valid for the
rest of the foreign provenance pumice. I don´t beleave you would take in
consideration the simultaneous eruption of various vulcanos in this part of
the world, all the pumice being washed down till to the Egyptian coast. Being
this said, ought all this pumice be the object of trade which somehow
brought it together at Tel ed Dab´a, where it was probably used for
hygienical or other purpose.

This doesn´t mean the eruption didn´t touch Egypt. Quite on the contrary, I
have found reflections of this event in Egyptian literary sources, but from a
previous age.

Best regards,

Bányai Michael
Stuttgart