b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Ark of the Covenant

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: MarianneLuban AT aol.com
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Ark of the Covenant
  • Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2004 16:30:18 EDT

In a message dated 8/20/2004 10:52:24 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
kwrandolph AT email.com writes:

> Evidences I pointed to in an earlier message included that the pharaoh gave
> Joseph an Egyptian name, that Joseph’s wife was the daughter of a priest of
> an Egyptian god, not a Semitic god, that apparently Joseph lived some
> distance from the Delta and so forth. You may not consider it “beyond a
> doubt” but
> all the clues, taken as an aggregate, paint a pretty strong picture.

Since all the texts from the Hyksos period are in Egyptian, we can presume
they spoke Egyptian, too. So I don't see any problem with one of their later
kings, Apophis (according to Manetho) giving Joseph an Egyptian name. And,
really, it is not even a normal Egyptian name. It is just something the
pharaoh
said about Joseph. iwnw (On), the Heliopolis of the Greeks, was at the apex
of
the Delta. Even though it was in the territory controlled by the Hyksos, who
held sway all the way to Hermopolis) it had been a city devoted to the cult
of Re long before. Just because the people of Avaris to the east "had no
other
god but Sutekh (Baal)" doesn't mean those in Heliopolis didn't. By the way,
the names of the Hyksos kings are not primarily Semitic. Nobody knows what
they are and when Manetho called them "of obscure race", he was dead on. It
has
been suggested that their names are Hurrian--but I have never read any
compelling explanation of these names.