b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Ark of the Covenant

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter Kirk <peterkirk AT qaya.org>
  • To: MarianneLuban AT aol.com
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Ark of the Covenant
  • Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2004 22:33:35 +0100

On 20/08/2004 21:12, MarianneLuban AT aol.com wrote:

In a message dated 8/20/2004 10:40:25 AM Pacific Daylight Time, peterkirk AT qaya.org writes:

That the BOG was written a thousand years before the Septuagint is a huge assumption--based on what? ...

That is the hypothesis which you tried to deny. Harold and I are trying to show that your falisification is invalid, so we have to work with the hypothesis. That there is other evidence in favour of the hypothesis is just at the moment irrelevant.

Here, wait! You talk as though I were the only person ever to have claimed a late authorship for the Torah. But you should know that I am not. And there is evidence for that, too, or scholars would never have suggested it. Leave Harold out of it--and speak for yourself. Where is your evidence that my "falsification is invalid"? ...

The particular issue in question is the name Potiphar/Potiphera. You argued that this name proves that Genesis is late. I have tried to demonstrate that this particular proof is invalid. There are of course other arguments in both directions, but let's take them one at a time.

Except that as argued below these may not actually be names but titles. The king of Egypt is called "Pharaoh" as if this were a name. It is of course a title, not a name. The words PR(H, PW+YPR and PW+Y PR( [+ = TET, note how similar they are] may actually all be titles which are used in Genesis as if they are names.

Here we go again. I have some more bad news. The king of Egypt was not referred to as "pr a3" at all until quite late in Egyptian history. Not until the 18th Dynasty and then but rarely. It only became a common name for the king in the 19th and 20th Dynasties--and following that. "pr a3" actually means "Great House". The rationale is that the king was the "Great House" from which came all benefices. It is rather like saying "The White House issued a statement today"--when it really comes from the president, himself. So to write "pharaoh" in Genesis is but another anachronism.

OK. Well, I accept that there are anachronisms in Genesis. I have never argued that the text as we have it is exactly as written by Moses; in fact few people have. The obvious answer to this objection is that the original author used another title for this Pharaoh, or his name, and a later redactor (or Moses himself for those who hold to a 19th dynasty Exodus) substituted the then current title.

Hold on, and look at the Hebrew forms I gave above. Pharaoh is spelled PR(H, with ayin [and a final silent he], and this presumably corresponds to Egyptian pr-a3, even if your 3 is nominally alef rather than ayin.

The /a/ is the ayin--and /3/ is an alef only in syllabic orthography, group writing. ...

Thanks for this explanation (snipped). So, it seems you agree that Hebrew PR(H is a reasonable representation of pr-a3, as presumably the Hebrews did not hear or write down the final N.

... Believe me, it is no accident that the word for pharaoh survives as "faraon" in Egypt today. ...

I wonder how and when the final n got into Arabic, not just in Egypt? Many Arabic biblical etc names are derived from Greek. Also into English "Pharaonic"? LXX has FARAW without N, indeclinable. Vulgate has Pharao, genitive Pharaonis following a regular Latin conjugation. I wonder if the N perhaps got back to Egypt from Greek or Latin via Arabic.

No priest was ever referred to as "an officer of pharaoh"--and not in the Bible, either. An officer is an officer--even in ancient Egyptian. Priests had titles, too, but these were different.

But could not the same person be a priest and an officer?

By the way, I have seen it suggested that Potiphar and Potiphera are not just the same name but the same person: Joseph's former master, having perhaps been appointed priest of On while Joseph was in prison, gave his daughter in marriage to Joseph when the latter became important, hoping to win back the favour of the one he had wronged and now had to submit to. The problem with that is that the text of Genesis seems to present them as different people.

Does this come from some midrash--or what? Just someone's imagination?

Maybe. But your imagination sometimes seems just as fertile as this one.

The weak phoneme may always have been written as n in *Egyptian*, but it is probable that those writing the names in *Hebrew* would have written what they heard rather than trying to represent every written hieroglyph. So, if the /n/ was silent, in Moses' or Joseph's day, it would not have been written in the Hebrew text.

True--but see again what I said about the timeframe of the designation "pr a3". It certainly wasn't in use during the Hyksos period--or before. ...

What are you saying? pr a3 wasn't used during the Hyksos period as far as we know, but what does that tell us about pn, which, as far as I can tell from what you say, was pronounced as p followed by a nasalised vowel. Egyptians wrote it as pn, but that doesn't mean that Hebrews did - just as, to use your earlier example, the French write "bonjour" but someone who knew no written French would probably transcribe it without the n. Well, maybe Moses could read hieroglyphic Egyptian, but that doesn't mean that he felt compelled to write in Hebrew every letter which is represented in the Egyptian text. He would have written down Egyptian names as he heard them, not according to the Egyptian spelling - just as centuries later Greeks and others did.

--
Peter Kirk
peter AT qaya.org (personal)