b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Ark of the covenant

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Banyai AT t-online.de (Michael Banyai)
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Ark of the covenant
  • Date: 21 Aug 2004 22:10 GMT

Peter Kirk wrote:
> So are you in fact agreeing with David Rohl that the Exodus took place
> at the time of Dudimose at the end of the 13th dynasty? I know you don't
> agree on the absolute date.

Yes absolutely. It was a rather negative emotional experience the first
moment as I read some of the statements of Rohl, I had arrived too but by
painfull logical constructions, which Rohl produced by an ex nihil
argumentation. It is still a wonder to see how little arguments actually Rohl
needed to produce such provocating statements. If one takes a look at Thieles
book about biblical chronology, one sees how such an argument has to work. So
it is little wonder, besides the inherent faults of Rohl´s thesis, that he
caused such a resistence in the establishment.

I need just a little adjustment of about 50 years or so for the beginning of
the Hyksos dynasties (1622 BC). Quite feasible, I think.

> Do your literary references include
> Manetho's to Tutimaos?

Yes of course. Even if it is not essential for my construction.

How about Artapanus' link between Moses and
> "Khenephres", perhaps = Sobekhotep IV? Of course there is a small
> problem that there were no less than 12 Pharaohs between Sobekhotep IV
> and Dudimose, rather a lot to squeeze into Moses' adult life. (But then
> wonders can be done with co-regencies.)

I can read Artapanus just as an interesting statement impossible to check,
but worth to remind. The chronology of the 13-th dynasty is indeed a mess,
but in absence of powerfull data, or without knowing wherefrom did artapanus
take his information, is silence the best reaction.I wouldn´t build my theory
alone on such an argument. Maybe yes, mabe not.

Best regards,

Bányai Michael
Stuttgart