b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] ur-textual possibilities between MT and LXX onPsa. 2:12

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: c stirling bartholomew <cc.constantine AT worldnet.att.net>
  • To: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] ur-textual possibilities between MT and LXX onPsa. 2:12
  • Date: Wed, 28 May 2003 19:34:17 -0700

on 5/28/03 3:02 PM, Peter Kirk wrote:

> Maybe. You have missed EKLELOIPASIN in Hos 13:2

No I didn't miss it, I ignored it. EKLELOIPASIN, makes no sense whatsoever
as a rendering of yishaqun. As evidence it falls into the category of
"noise."

> Also the sense "arm oneself" in 1CH 12:2; 2CH 17:17; PSA 78:9
> just might be relevant.

Again, I saw these and ignored them since K&B (aka, HALOT) & BDB list these
citations under a second heading. They are not useful as evidence that nshq
when it means "kiss" in the MT is rendered euphemistically in the LXX. They
are not "noise" like EKLELOIPASIN in Hos 13:2, they are just irrelevant to
the question of euphemisms for kiss in the LXX.

> But I see these data as proving my point.

Then I am not sure what your point is. The original issue was a Hebrew word
meaning "kiss" might be rendered euphemistically in Psa. 2:12 LXX. That
point has not been sustained.

>Sure, the LXX translators used a
> literal word for "kiss" in the context of proper family relationships, and
> where the context is clearly disapproving as in Proverbs 7:13. But in the
> three places, 1Ki 19:18, Hos 13:2 and Psa 2:12 where the context might be
> taken as encouraging "immoral" kissing, the translation has been adjusted in
> one way or another. Coincidence? But maybe the reason for the confused
> solutions in LXX is that the euphemisms had been introduced into the Hebrew
> text the translators were using.

You are now trying to sustain a new point about euphemisms in the Hebrew
text. That is a new topic.

enough already,

Thanks Peter, this has been a useful exchange. I learned a few things.

Clay

PS

Will someone please under a different topic heading explain to me what the
large roman numerals in the articles of BDB and K&B mean? Do they indicate
different "words" with the same graphic form?

--
Clayton Stirling Bartholomew
Three Tree Point