b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Homonyms

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Kirk Lowery <klowery AT wts.edu>
  • To: c stirling bartholomew <cc.constantine AT worldnet.att.net>
  • Cc: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Homonyms
  • Date: Fri, 30 May 2003 08:36:24 -0400

c stirling bartholomew wrote:

> Will someone please under a different topic heading explain to me
> what the large roman numerals in the articles of BDB and K&B mean?
> Do they indicate different "words" with the same graphic form?

I believe these refer to different lexical entries with the same spelling but with different meanings, i.e., homonyms. The order in which they occur in the lexicon determines the number.

Their usage is very inconsistent, however. I would not trust the ordering to be the same between BDB and KBS, for example. Always look up the lemma when citing...

Blessings,

Kirk
--
Kirk E. Lowery, Ph.D.
Director, Westminster Hebrew Institute

Theorie ist, wenn man alles weiss und nichts klappt.
Praxis ist, wenn alles klappt und keiner weiss warum.
Bei uns sind Theorie und Praxis vereint:
nichts klappt und keiner weiss warum!