b-hebrew - RE: [b-hebrew] ur-textual possibilities between MT and LXX onPsa. 2:12

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Peter Kirk" <peter.r.kirk AT ntlworld.com>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [b-hebrew] ur-textual possibilities between MT and LXX onPsa. 2:12
  • Date: Tue, 27 May 2003 22:00:40 +0100

I wonder is DRAXASQE here must be based on emended Hebrew. Can it mean
something like "embrace"? If so, it might be a euphemism for "kiss". And
PAIDEIAS "instruction" could be an error by a Greek copyist for PAIDOS or
PAIDIOU "servant", "child" which could represent Aramaising Hebrew BAR
"son". So this is not necessarily a witness to a different Hebrew text.

According to BDB s.v. BAR I a Targum reads "receive instruction". Of course
this may be dependent on LXX, as the similar Vulgate reading surely is.
Aquila, Symmachus and Jerome (presumably in his psalter based on the Hebrew)
have "kiss purely, do sincere homage", which is clearly based on MT with BAR
understood as "pure".

Peter Kirk
peter.r.kirk AT ntlworld.com
http://web.onetel.net.uk/~peterkirk/