b-hebrew - RE: [b-hebrew] VSO vs SVO

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Liz Fried" <lizfried AT umich.edu>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [b-hebrew] VSO vs SVO
  • Date: Thu, 29 May 2003 01:19:11 +0100

I just read over my paper, which I guess I wrote about 10 years ago now.
Chomsky argues that European languages (well, English really)
are made up of subject plus predicate. That is, the object is attached to
the verb in a way that the subject isn't. There is subject-object asymmetry
with respect to the verb. I argue that subject-object asymmetry doesn't
exist in BH, that there is a flat tree structure, and that the Verb binds
equally
with the subject as with the object. Therefore the subject can intevene
between the verb and the object in deep structure, not just surface
structure.
Liz