b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Homonyms

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Kirk Lowery <klowery AT wts.edu>
  • To: c stirling bartholomew <cc.constantine AT worldnet.att.net>
  • Cc: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Homonyms
  • Date: Fri, 30 May 2003 13:46:36 -0400

c stirling bartholomew wrote:
on 5/30/03 9:02 AM, Kirk Lowery wrote:

If you are adding lemmas to a database (as
we do here), then there is the question of spelling ...

Kirk,

When building your tagged Hebrew texts what do you do with a medial nun in
the final position? Do you put it in your database as a final? I know this
isn't a common thing, perhaps a few instances in the DSS. The question came
up in a dispute between F.M. Cross - E.Eschel and A. Yardeni over reading
the last word of line 8 of an ostracon from Qumran. I will bring that up in
a different thread.

The raw database is in the Michigan (ASCII-based) encoding, which does not distinguish initial-medial/final forms. In the next year we are migrating the basic encoding of the database from ASCII to UNICODE. In Unicode, the final forms are separate codes of the medial ones, and so it should do The Right Thing: when we break up a word into morphemes the medial will continue to be rendered as a medial and not a final. But I've not yet investigated or tested this yet. The rendering of Hebrew in browsers and word processors is still pretty primative...

Blessings,

Kirk
--
Kirk E. Lowery, Ph.D.
Director, Westminster Hebrew Institute

Theorie ist, wenn man alles weiss und nichts klappt.
Praxis ist, wenn alles klappt und keiner weiss warum.
Bei uns sind Theorie und Praxis vereint:
nichts klappt und keiner weiss warum!