b-hebrew - RE: [b-hebrew] ur-textual possibilities between MT and LXX onPsa. 2:12

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Peter Kirk" <peter.r.kirk AT ntlworld.com>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [b-hebrew] ur-textual possibilities between MT and LXX onPsa. 2:12
  • Date: Wed, 28 May 2003 20:09:09 +0100

Euphemisms for "kiss" are common in modern English Bible translations. At
Psalm 2:12 NLT has "submit", NET has "give sincere homage" (taking BAR as
"sincere"), CEV has "show respect", NCV has "show that you are loyal". I
don't think any of these are intended to reflect an emended Hebrew text. The
unkind explanation would be censorship. The kind one would be that this is
justifiable as a substitution of the significance for the form, in place of
the form with a misleading significance.

In Romans 16:16 (literally "Greet one another with a holy kiss") CEV and NLT
similarly gives the significance without the form, with "give each other a
warm greeting" and "Greet each other in Christian love"; but other more
paraphrasing translators go even further, using cultural substitutes: JB
Phillips "Give each other a hearty handshake all round" and The Message
"Holy embraces all around!". NLT avoids actual substitution, but

Apparently some modern translators consider commands to kiss inappropriate
for modern contexts and so censor them out of modern translations. Why
couldn't the LXX translators have done something similar, maybe out of fear
of immorality in the synagogue?

Peter Kirk
peter.r.kirk AT ntlworld.com
http://web.onetel.net.uk/~peterkirk/