b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] ur-textual possibilities between MT and LXX onPsa. 2:12

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: c stirling bartholomew <cc.constantine AT worldnet.att.net>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] ur-textual possibilities between MT and LXX onPsa. 2:12
  • Date: Wed, 28 May 2003 11:14:31 -0700

Hi Peter,

on 5/27/03 2:00 PM, Peter Kirk wrote:

> I wonder is DRAXASQE here must be based on emended Hebrew. Can it mean
> something like "embrace"? If so, it might be a euphemism for "kiss".

Don't think this will fly. Looked up DRASSOMAI in all the lexicons
(Cunliffe, LSJ, Danker, L&N, LEH, Lampe). When it is used in reference to
persons it typically has negative and sometimes violent overtones (e.g.,
grab by the throat). When used in reference to objects it means to clutch or
grasp.

Why would an LXX translator need "a euphemism for kiss" anyway? Queen
Victoria would not have needed a euphemism for kiss.

cheers, Clay

--
Clayton Stirling Bartholomew
Three Tree Point