b-hebrew - RE: [b-hebrew] LORD

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Lisbeth S. Fried" <lizfried AT umich.edu>
  • To: "b-hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [b-hebrew] LORD
  • Date: Fri, 14 Feb 2003 09:40:47 -0500

Dear Mark,
Why do you assume David or even a davidic king wrote this psalm?
It is in the third person, and written by a temple or court scribe or
poet.
He says that YHWH spoke to his Adon, i.e., YHWH spoke to his lord, his
boss.
An anonymous poet is speaking, not the king, and certainly not David.
As for no one ever addressing a priest by the title "lord," we have
it all over the place at Elephantine.
TAD A4.3 begins "To my lords Jedaniah, Uriah and [the other] priests
of YHW the god...."
Liz Fried