b-hebrew - Re: The OT?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Yigal Levin <Yigal-Levin AT utc.edu>
  • To: Polycarp66 AT aol.com, b-hebrew AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: The OT?
  • Date: Mon, 26 Aug 2002 10:29:33 -0400

At 10:11 AM 8/26/2002 EDT, Polycarp66 AT aol.com wrote:
>BTW: Since many Jews do not care to have the TANAK/Hebrew Bible referred to
>as the "Old Testament" what do they then call the New Testament? I should
>think that a "New Testament" implies an older one and the reverse. Do they
>nevertheless call it the "New Testament" or do they have another term?

Jews usually tend not to talk or think about the NT at all. Remember, that
unlike Christian use of the OT (or whatever...), the NT plays no part in
Jewish thought at all. In fact (don't be offended, Christian friends), many
traditional-minded Orthodox Jews (and I'm not just referring to
Ultra-Orthodox Hasiddim) consider the NT to be a heretical, profane book,
one which has been the inspiration of two thousand years of persecution of
Jews, and will have nothing to do with it and refuse to have a copy in
their homes. If and when referring to the NT at all, many Jews will say
something like "the so-called New Testament".

You did ask...

Dr. Yigal Levin
Dept. of Philosophy and Religion
University of Tennessee at Chattanooga