b-hebrew - Re: The OT?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Dave Washburn" <dwashbur AT nyx.net>
  • To: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: The OT?
  • Date: Mon, 26 Aug 2002 09:23:58 -0600

> In a message dated 8/26/2002 10:26:24 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
> Yigal-Levin AT utc.edu writes:
>

> Jews usually tend not to talk or think about the NT at all. Remember, that
> unlike Christian use of the OT (or whatever...), the NT plays no part in
> Jewish thought at all. In fact (don't be offended, Christian friends), many
> traditional-minded Orthodox Jews (and I'm not just referring to
> Ultra-Orthodox Hasiddim) consider the NT to be a heretical, profane book,
> one which has been the inspiration of two thousand years of persecution of
> Jews, and will have nothing to do with it and refuse to have a copy in
> their homes. If and when referring to the NT at all, many Jews will say
> something like "the so-called New Testament".
>
> You did ask...
> _________________________
>
> And I thank you for your response. I am not in the least offended.

I likewise thank you, and likewise am not at all offended. I have
sometimes wondered about this question myself, and appreciate the
information. I also appreciate your (Yigal's) irenic tone throughout
this discussion. I wish I could say the same about my own tone,
which hasn't been consistent at times.....

Dave Washburn
http://www.nyx.net/~dwashbur
"Don't let your mind wander.
It's too little to be left alone."