b-hebrew - RE: The OT?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Moshe Shulman <mshulman AT ix.netcom.com>
  • To: "Biblical Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: The OT?
  • Date: Sun, 25 Aug 2002 17:10:30 -0400

At 12:14 PM 8/25/02 -0400, you wrote:
> I am not sure that Liz meant that seriously. (I sort of doubt
> it.) However
> the issue of what terms to use in discussion is important. It
> is like the
> BCE/BC discussion. I think her point was that in a University
> setting,
> where 'scholarship' is supposed to be going on using OT, when
> refering to
> the Hebrew text,is not accurate. Words like Tenach/OT have more of a
> religious context, and are non-neutral. On the other hand
> when in a Jewish
> context to refer to the 'OT' is not just insulting, but in a sense
> meaningless.
I think he's got it!
Liz

I don't see what was so hard here.

Moshe Shulman outreach AT messiahtruth.com 718-436-7705
Messiah Truth/Judaism's Answer: http://www.messiahtruth.com/
Outreach Judaism: http://www.outreachjudaism.org/
CHASSIDUS.NET - Yoshav Rosh http://www.chassidus.net
Chassidus discussion list: chassidus-subscribe AT yahoogroups.com