b-hebrew - Re: The OT?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Polycarp66 AT aol.com
  • To: Yigal-Levin AT utc.edu, b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: The OT?
  • Date: Mon, 26 Aug 2002 10:44:51 EDT

In a message dated 8/26/2002 10:26:24 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
Yigal-Levin AT utc.edu writes:

Jews usually tend not to talk or think about the NT at all. Remember, that
unlike Christian use of the OT (or whatever...), the NT plays no part in
Jewish thought at all. In fact (don't be offended, Christian friends), many
traditional-minded Orthodox Jews (and I'm not just referring to
Ultra-Orthodox Hasiddim) consider the NT to be a heretical, profane book,
one which has been the inspiration of two thousand years of persecution of
Jews, and will have nothing to do with it and refuse to have a copy in
their homes. If and when referring to the NT at all, many Jews will say
something like "the so-called New Testament".

You did ask...

And I thank you for your response. I am not in the least offended.

gfsomsel