b-hebrew - Re: The OT?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Polycarp66 AT aol.com
  • To: Yigal-Levin AT utc.edu, b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: The OT?
  • Date: Mon, 26 Aug 2002 10:11:05 EDT

In a message dated 8/26/2002 8:57:38 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
Yigal-Levin AT utc.edu writes:

As an Orthodox Jew, I find little to be insulted about. Many on this list
are Christians and have a right to their own traditions, just as we do.
Besides, although there is definitely significance in the title you use and
I do prefer "Hebrew Bible", in the context that both Liz and I teach, of a
predominately non-professional Christian-background student population, using

"Hebrew Bible" as a title would just scare them away. Assuming you actually
read my post, you will notice that I wrote about the way in which I explain
to the students the differences between the Jewish and Christian
approaches, both to the framework of the HB/OT and the content. It's like
using dates BCE or BC. I prefer BCE, but most of the people around me are
unfamiliar with the term. Getting insulted does not do anyone any good.
___________________________

Finally, a voice of sanity. I happen to be on the other side of the
division; nevertheless, having someone say "BCE" rather than "BC" or "CE"
rather than "AD" does not trouble me. I simply understand what they mean and
recognize that they are viewing matters from a different perspective. If we
had no differences we would then all be Jews, Christians, Moslems, or
whatever. Since we are not the same, why should we be offended that someone
from another tradition expresses the viewpoint of his tradition?

BTW: Since many Jews do not care to have the TANAK/Hebrew Bible referred to
as the "Old Testament" what do they then call the New Testament? I should
think that a "New Testament" implies an older one and the reverse. Do they
nevertheless call it the "New Testament" or do they have another term?

gfsomsel