b-hebrew - RE: The OT?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Schmuel <schmuel AT escape.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: RE: The OT?
  • Date: Mon, 26 Aug 2002 12:32:17 -0400

Shalom b-hebrew,

Lisbeth S. Fried wrote:
>The first thing I do with my students is to teach >them the difference between the OT and the HB.
>I tell them the OT is the LXX! >(Not one of them has ever argued with me about it!) :)

Yigal
Although, Liz, I'm sure you know that this is not strictly correct. The Vulgate, which is the basis for most "Western" traditions, was translated from the Hebrew (albeit with a lot of LXX-based interpretation). And to most Protestants, the OT does not include the Apocrypha.

Schmuel

The issue of the Vulgate Tanach is a tad complex, however it is virtually unused in the King James Bible, which was translated with the Masoretic Text, Ben Chayyim, as the base underlying manuscript, with minor reference to socalled LXX, Vulgate, Peshitta, etc...

(actually I don't even know if there is any real original Jerome Vulgate Tanach, even in lineage,
extant, used in translation.. we would need a Vulgate expert to tell us if what is called the Vulgate Tanach can be traced to Jerome, who did translate Tanach using Hebrew ... he did that AFTER
his rcc/Pope Damasus days, after he moved to Bethlehem... if not from Jerome, it becomes open season as to the Vulgate Tanach sources, I would be interested in the theories...)

for the Messianic Testament (NT), we do know that Jerome translated it, we have it, and that it came from Greek and Old Latin

Yigal
> And to most Protestants, the OT does not include the Apocrypha.

Schmuel

Very important point, as the socalled LXX principle manuscripts (Vaticanus and Sinaticus 350 AD+)
do include various apocrypha.. rejected as non-canonical by Protestants, baptists, adventists, etc..

Sinaticus also seems to be a derivative of Origen's 5th column Hexapla, based on an internal note..

schmuel AT escape.com

Messianic_Apologetic-subscribe AT yahoogroups.com