b-hebrew - The OT?, Names of G-d, and on...

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Dr. Reinhard G.Lehmann" <lehmann AT mail.uni-mainz.de>
  • To: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: The OT?, Names of G-d, and on...
  • Date: Mon, 26 Aug 2002 16:34:01 +0200

Dear listfellows,
now having read a lot of stuff about the 'OT or not OT' or Tanak or Hebrew
Bible, about names of God, G-d, YHWH or Yahwe, I really am surprised at the
lack of tolerance in an academic, multi-religious
discussion list.
It *must* be possible for each member to refer to the Bible or parts of it in
its own terminology, according to his specific tradition or socialization!
And it *must* be possible for a Christian or
whosoever to say "Old Testament" or whatever else, and for a Jew to say
"Hebrew Bible" or something else without them feeling mutuallly offended.
If not, please close this list and open some little special lists for Jews,
Christians (and beware! Catholics, Protestants and others separated!),
Atheists, Fundamentalists, scholars who work with
'higher criticism' and scholars who do not, and so on... ;-)

OK, please remember simply the b-hebrew guidelines that everyone of us should
know:

"Debate that forces particular faith or doctrinal perspectives onto a reading
of the text is not appropriate subject matter for this forum.
Proselytizing ("seeking to convert someone to a certain religious faith")
is also not appropriate. Naturally, each of us will share our own
understanding from our own perspective, but this should not
be done with the goal of changing other participants.
Knowledge of Hebrew is assumed, but belittling someone for their lack of
skill or ridiculing someone for making a mistake--even a basic one--is
unacceptable.
All list members should be allowed the dignity of being different. ..."

... and so on.

Best regards
and all the best
Reinhard

Dr. Reinhard G. Lehmann
Forschungsstelle fuer Althebraeische Sprache
Fachbereich 02 Evangelische Theologie
Johannes-Gutenberg Universitaet Mainz
D - 55099 Mainz
Germany
tel: (+49) 6131 - 39 23284
mailto: lehmann AT mail.uni-mainz.de
http home: www.uni-mainz.de/~lehmann/
look at: http://www.uni-mainz.de/~lehmann/link.html
look at: http://www.uni-mainz.de/~lehmann/KUSATU-dframe.html

  • The OT?, Names of G-d, and on..., Dr. Reinhard G.Lehmann, 08/26/2002