b-hebrew - Re: The OT?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Yigal Levin <Yigal-Levin AT utc.edu>
  • To: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: The OT?
  • Date: Mon, 26 Aug 2002 08:59:06 -0400

Thomas,

As an Orthodox Jew, I find little to be insulted about. Many on this list
are Christians and have a right to their own traditions, just as we do.
Besides, although there is definitely significance in the title you use and
I do prefer "Hebrew Bible", in the context that both Liz and I teach, of a
predominately non-professional Christian-background student population, using
"Hebrew Bible" as a title would just scare them away. Assuming you actually
read my post, you will notice that I wrote about the way in which I explain
to the students the differences between the Jewish and Christian
approaches, both to the framework of the HB/OT and the content. It's like
using dates BCE or BC. I prefer BCE, but most of the people around me are
unfamiliar with the term. Getting insulted does not do anyone any good.

Yigal

At 04:52 PM 8/23/2002 EDT, JwReform AT aol.com wrote:
>Hello:
>
> Just a note in passing. To call the Tanach or the Hebrew Bible, the OT
>is insulting to those of us who are Jewish, and I do not mean messianics as
>Jews. Have a great Sabbath.
>
>Thomas Roper
>
>---
>You are currently subscribed to b-hebrew as: [Yigal-Levin AT utc.edu]
>To unsubscribe, forward this message to
$subst('Email.Unsub')
>To subscribe, send an email to join-b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu.

Dr. Yigal Levin
Dept. of Philosophy and Religion
University of Tennessee at Chattanooga
615 McCallie Avenue