b-hebrew - Re: The OT?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Yigal Levin <Yigal-Levin AT utc.edu>
  • To: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: The OT?
  • Date: Mon, 26 Aug 2002 10:00:02 -0400

At 09:57 PM 8/25/2002 +0200, Jonathan D. Safren wrote:

>[JDS} It still does end with Chronicles. Only the order of the books and
>their arrangement are different:
>
>I. Torah = 5 Books of Moses
>
>II. Prophets
>A. Former Prophets
>1. Joshua
>2.Judges
>3. I & IISamuel
>4. I & II Kings
>
>B. Latter Prophets
>1. Isaiah
>2. Jeremiah
>3. Ezekiel
>4. The Twekve Proohets (Dodecapropheton)
>
>C. Writings
>A. The Emet Books
>1. Psalms
>2. Proverbs
>3.Job (in some codices, e.g. Leningrad, Job precedes Proverbs)
>
>B. The 5 Scrolls
>1. Song of Songs
>2. Ruth
>3. Lamentations
>4. Ecclesiastes
>5. Esther (here too other codices have a differentarrangement)
>
>C, Other Writings
>1. Daniel
>2. Ezra-Nehemiah
>3. I & II Chronicles
>
>All in all, 24 Books

By the way, Jonathan, the Mosad Harav Kook Tanakh Ketivim Volume, published
I think in the 80's, starts with Chronicles (before Psalms) and ends with
Ez-Neh. I think they were following the Leningrad codex in this, though I'm
not sure. Their "Da`at Mikra" series puts Chr. at the end.

-Yigal

>[Bill] What, if any, are the main strains of consensus concerning the Hebrew
>canon, and is it considered "canon" or "rule" or is it only the
>covenant, or Torah (Gen-Deut) that constitute the commandments?
>
>[JDS] If by canon you mean Holy Scriptures, there has been 100% consensus
>among Jews since the second century CE at the latest. The Samaritans have
>only the Torah

In a different version!

>and an entirely different and shorter Joshua.

Which they do not consider as having any divine authority.
-Yigal

>As for laws or commandments, there are none outside the Torah.
>
><Jonathon>
>>>So, although Jewish and Christian scholars may be talking about two
>similar colllections of books and the same individual books, I feel it
>would be best to specify which Bible is being referred to, especially
>when the order of books makes a difference.
>
><Bill>
>As I muse on this, the christian scriptures uniformly apply the
>appellation "the scriptures" or "the writings" to the Hebrew bible,
>along with "the law and prophets" and the "older treasure" [OT], and
>never even give a name to any newer collection [which did not exist,
>obviously].
>
>[JDS] In the Mishna, one finds the following terms used to describe the
>Jewish Bible or Tanakh: kitvei haQodesh (Holy Scriptures), 24 Sefarim (the
>24 Books).
>
>{Bill] The Tanach refers specifically to the Hebrew bible as recognized
>today,
>and specifically to the version in the certain order, etc. How long has
>this been the recognized "canon?"
>
>[JDS] As I wrote above, since at least the second century CE.
>Tanakh is a late name, and couldn't have come into existence before the Jews
>starting writing codices of the whole Bible, i.e., not before the 8th
>century. But check me on the dates.
>
>[Bill} But let's all pleeeaasse lose the ridiculous word "testament!"
>
>[JDS] Not a ridiculous word at all, just archaic. Testament = Covenant,
>treaty. The idea is that God made a treaty with the Israelites in which they
>accepted him as their sole sovereign and took upon themselves the
>obligations of observing the stipulations in this suzerainty treaty, the
>main one being that they are not to serve any other sovereigns.
>As for Old and New, these are a matter of Christian theology. But I think
>that any serious student of the Tanakh will accept that the Torah is the
>story of a divine covenant =suzerainty treaty, or covenants, and the
>classical prophets were the defenders of this covenant.
>--------------
>Jonathan D. Safren
>Dept. of Biblical Studies
>Beit Berl College
>Beit Berl Post Office
>44905 Israel
>
>"sha'alu shelom yerushalayim yishlayu kol 'ohavayikh"
>

>---
>You are currently subscribed to b-hebrew as: [Yigal-Levin AT utc.edu]
>To unsubscribe, forward this message to
$subst('Email.Unsub')
>To subscribe, send an email to join-b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu.

Dr. Yigal Levin
Dept. of Philosophy and Religion
University of Tennessee at Chattanooga
615 McCallie Avenue