b-hebrew - Re: _)aSHER_ in Ex. 3:14 (was "I AM")

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Dave Washburn" <dwashbur AT nyx.net>
  • To: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: _)aSHER_ in Ex. 3:14 (was "I AM")
  • Date: Fri, 11 May 2001 17:36:04 -0700

Actually that was me, not Dan...

In a message dated 5/10/01 5:13:56 PM Eastern Daylight Time,  dan.wagner AT netzero.net writes:

Function is not everything; if I say "I will decision the  > problem" I have in essence created a verbal that doesn't exist and  > have violated the grammatical form of the noun "decision." Does  > that mean that "decision" is no longer a noun and has become a  > verb?

  The fact is that when you say that, we all understand that you are using  "decision" as a verb, and none of us think your intent is that it be a noun.   The reality is that although it's not normative Standard English, in the  sentence "I will decision the problem", the word "decision" IS a verb.

> It really is that simple.

 It is NEVER that simple......   Hayyim  --- You are currently subscribed to b-hebrew as: [dwashbur AT nyx.net] To unsubscribe, forward this message to leave-b-hebrew- 90212Y AT franklin.oit.unc.edu To subscribe, send an email to join-b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu.

Dave Washburn
http://www.nyx.net/~dwashbur
"You just keep thinking, Butch.  That's what you're good at."

Archive powered by MHonArc 2.6.24.