b-hebrew - Re: _)aSHER_ in Ex. 3:14 (was "I AM")

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: GregStffrd AT aol.com
  • To: b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Cc: dan.wagner AT netzero.net
  • Subject: Re: _)aSHER_ in Ex. 3:14 (was "I AM")
  • Date: Sat, 12 May 2001 11:56:39 EDT

In a message dated 05/11/2001 1:39:29 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
dan.wagner AT netzero.net writes:

<< Greg,

It is fundamental to my view, although it might be ancillary to yours.

Dan Wagner >>

Dan,

My point was very clear: It is the most unimportant part of this discussion
*because* everyone seems prepared to grant the function you and Dave suggest.
Once we get past that, and we have been for some time, the problem with your
dual use of 'EHYEH comes to the fore.

But note this contrast: You quoted me as saying:

> The function of 'ASHER has to be the most unimportant point in this whole
> discussion!

What did I actually say? This:

QUOTE
The function of 'ASHER has to be the most unimportant point in this whole
discussion! I believe most here are prepared to grant such a function to
'ASHER; it is your dual understanding of 'EHYEH that rips the heart from your
position.
END

Please refrain from quoting only part of my comments, when what I actually
said revolved around the importance of issues in dispute and issues that
could and/or have been granted.

When you do this it only creates more confusion.

Greg Stafford