b-hebrew - Re: _)aSHER_ in Ex. 3:14 (was "I AM")

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Levdr <Levdr AT palm.A2000.nl>
  • To: <alanf00 AT home.com>, Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: _)aSHER_ in Ex. 3:14 (was "I AM")
  • Date: Sun, 13 May 2001 19:37:51 +0200

Alan Feuerbacher wrote:

> So let's try again: According to Webster's, a "nominal" is "a word or word
> group functioning as a noun". According to _The Essentials of Grammar_
> (Hayden
> Mead & Jay Stevenson; The Philip Lief Group; 1996; p. 145), "nomina
> l forms are nouns made from verbs or adjectives."
>
> I assume you agree with these definitions. If not, then tell us why not.
>
> Going along with Dan's thesis, if the second use of "I AM" in Exodus 3:14
> is a
> name, then it is a nominal by the standard definition of "nominal". Since "I
> am" is normally a verb form, this use certainly fits the notion o
> f "a word group functioning as a noun", wouldn't you say? And it certainly
> fits the notion of a 'noun made from a verb', so it is by definition a
> "nominal form".

Hi Alan,

As a newcomer to the list, I have been following the discussion with great
interest and pleasure and would like to make a few comments on the
definitions of 'nominal' given above. It seems to me that 'a word group
functioning as a noun' does not apply to the second _)EHYEH_ in Ex. 3:14a
simply because this is not a noun group, but - at least in Hebrew - one
single word. The second definition 'a noun made from a verb' does even less
so, since that would require nominalisation of a verb which is not the case
here, it is by all definitions a verb. It may very well be *used* as a
nominal here - I am inclined to think so, also given its use in Ex 3:14b -
but it is by no means a 'nominal form' not by the definitions given above
(or by any definition for that matter).

regards,
Levina de Ruijter