b-hebrew - RE: _)aSHER_ in Ex. 3:14 (was "I AM")

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: alanf00 AT home.com
  • To: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: _)aSHER_ in Ex. 3:14 (was "I AM")
  • Date: Fri, 11 May 2001 02:10:08 -0600

From: "Dave Washburn" <dwashbur AT nyx.net>
To: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
Date sent: Thu, 10 May 2001 06:33:10 -0700
Send reply to: "Dave Washburn" <dwashbur AT nyx.net>

To Dave Washburn:

Let's get to the heart of why I think you're arguing illogically. You
said:

> I don't disagree that under Dan's analysis of )A$ER, )EHYEH
*functions* as a nominal, but it should be obvious
that this is an atypical function

It matters not whether it is an atypical function -- in THIS instance,
according to Dan's analysis, because the phrase FUNCTIONS as a
nominal, it IS a nominal. In your example of the name "Dances with
Wolves", the fact that the verb phrase functions as a nominal turns
it into a nominal. The two examples are parallel, yet you claim not
to see it in the case in point here.

> that actually violates (if I may use such a term) the force of its
grammatical form.

What?

> Hence, yes, it is being used as a name, but it is still, in form and
likely in meaning, a verb.

A nominal is a word or word group functioning as a noun. That's all
there is to it. The word group in question contains a verb, but in
Dan's analysis it functions as a name, as a noun, as a nominal.
Why is this so hard for you to admit?

> I don't understand why this is such a hard concept for some to
grasp.

Ditto.

> Function is not everything; if I say "I will decision the problem" I
have in essence created a verbal that doesn't exist and have
violated the grammatical form of the noun "decision." Does that
mean that "decision" is no longer a noun and has become a verb?
I don't think so.

I do, because that is the way a dynamic, living language works.
When you create a verbal such as in your example, the very act of
creating it causes it to exist. It exists because of your usage of it,
and it exists in the minds of those who hear you use it and who

then understand it. Your talking about creating a verbal that doesn't
exist is a contradiction in terms.

Actually your example here is an example of the rhetorical fallacy
often termed "either-or thinking", i.e., reduction of alternatives to
only two when others exist. You say that "decision" would be
transformed from a noun into a verb, which you imply is silly, and
then present only that and its opposite -- no transformation -- as
alternatives. Clearly, a third and correct alternative exists: once you
have created a brand new verb -- "decision" -- then in the contexts
in which you have used the word, "decision" is sometimes a noun
and sometimes a verb.

Your fallacy is illustrated again in your next statement:

> Sometimes such a move catches on and a new verb is created;
witness what the computer world has done with the word
"interface." But that doesn't mean it happens automatically.

Of course it happens automatically. The very act of creating a new
verb brings it into existence. That's what "create" means.

It is irrelevant to the process of creation whether a new word
catches on or not. When I was a pre-teen, somehow a new verb "to
klepto" caught on among the kids (from "kleptomaniac"; "he
kleptoed my pen"). It was used commonly for part of a school year.
Are you claiming that merely because words like that are not used
anymore, they do not exist? They most certainly begin their
existence from the first time someone creates the new word. They
cease to exist only after all traces, written and in the minds of
speakers of the language, cease to exist.

> In a unique case like my sentence, or like )EHYEH in Exodus
3:14, the word still carries its grammatical force even though it's
being forced into a usage that is outside that force.

The word or phrase may well carry much of the grammatical force
of the common verbal usage, but that's beside the point. The point
is that a verbal form used as a name is a nominal -- period. By
using a word in a new way that is understandable to listeners, you
have brought a new form into existence. Its existence may be as
ephemeral as these email discussions, but it certainly exists at
least as long as we are talking about it.

> ... A verb being used as a name still retains its character as a
verb, even though it fills a "nominal" slot. It really is that simple.

Of course it retains its character as a verb, just as the name
"Dances with Wolves" retains a verbal character. But it is not a
verb -- it is a name, a noun, a nominal. It really is that simple.

Alan Feuerbacher