b-hebrew - Re: _)aSHER_ in Ex. 3:14 (was "I AM")

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Bearpecs AT aol.com
  • To: b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: _)aSHER_ in Ex. 3:14 (was "I AM")
  • Date: Fri, 11 May 2001 17:29:48 EDT

In a message dated 5/10/01 5:13:56 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
dan.wagner AT netzero.net writes:

Function is not everything; if I say "I will decision the
> problem" I have in essence created a verbal that doesn't exist and
> have violated the grammatical form of the noun "decision."  Does
> that mean that "decision" is no longer a noun and has become a
> verb?

The fact is that when you say that, we all understand that you are using
"decision" as a verb, and none of us think your intent is that it be a noun.
The reality is that although it's not normative Standard English, in the
sentence "I will decision the problem", the word "decision" IS a verb.

>  It really is that simple.

It is NEVER that simple......

Hayyim