b-hebrew - Re: _)aSHER_ in Ex. 3:14 (was "I AM")

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Daniel Wagner" <dan.wagner AT netzero.net>
  • To: "Biblical Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: _)aSHER_ in Ex. 3:14 (was "I AM")
  • Date: Thu, 10 May 2001 17:12:41 -0400

----- Original Message -----
From: <GregStffrd AT aol.com>
To: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
Sent: Thursday, May 10, 2001 12:41 PM

> Now that my points seem to be coming into clearer focus, I will reiterate
> some things: First, 'ANI 'EHYEH is no more unlikely an introductory formula
> than 'EHYEH 'ASHER 'EHYEH could be considered unlikely. Indeed, the
> verbless > clause with a verb-form nominal as the proper name predicate
> fits right in
> line with how YHWH, another verb in form which functions as a proper name,
> is
> used in verbless introductory clauses.

Greg,

The parallel between a noun clause introduced by a 1CS pronoun followed by
YHWH (as a standard proper name which is *not* a 1CS finite verb), and a noun
clause introduced by a 1CS pronoun but followed by _)EHYEH_ (which *is* a 1CS
finite verb but not a standard or common name) just will not stand. One is
fully communicative in Hebrew; the other is ambiguous and ultimately
non-communicative.

But concerning the basis for my view, it centers in (1) the ambiguity above
giving necessity to some alternative to the standard noun clause
introduction, which i find easily remedied in good Hebrew in the present
construction with a subordinating _)aSHER_, (2) a correct understanding of
the function of _)aSHER_, (3) recognizing the clarifying comment in 14b as
delimiting of the actual *full* name of Moses' God to simply _)EHYEH_, or as
i prefer, "I-AM," the constantly-covenanting,
all-that's-needed-by-virtue-of-who-He-is God. Moses' God can be defined as
the very essence of a covenant-in-action. What better answer for the
Israelites?

Dan Wagner

PS I think the "prove-to-be" translation of KB is partly true, but is reading
in something too specific and too limiting. It misses the covenant-in-action
aspect i think i see in the grammar of "I-AM" and in the surrounding context.

> So then we ask: Would not a commonly used verb form such as 'EHYEH have
> been > confusing if used as a proper name predicate in 'ANI 'EHYEH? I do
> not believe
> so, and the reason is as I have stated before: I don't believe it would
> have
> been confusing because of the grammatical function which would have been
> associated with it in 'ANI 'EHYEH. This construction could, in my opinion,
> only make sense by taking 'ANI as the subject with an implied copula and
> 'EHYEH as a proper name predicate. Hence, no confusion.
>
> But to suggest that in 'EHYEH 'ASHER 'EHYEH there would not have been
> confusion in finding "I am" as a subject/copula in the first 'EHYEH and
> then
> a predicate/proper name (hence, not a verb in FUNCTION) in the second
> 'EHYEH, > is a serious reach IMO. I think it is far less likely that a
> native speaker
> would have been confused by the use of a common introductory formula such
> as
> 'ANI 'EHYEH, which would essentially have left only one grammatical option
> and that is to view 'EHYEH as a proper name. To suggest that there would
> have
> been confusion or any desire to interpret it in its finite verbal function
> with 'ANI is an even greater reach.
>
> I believe 'EHYEH is verbal in both instances in 3:14. I am simply arguing
> against Dan's view by noting that if, as he claims, 'EHYEH is a proper name
> in the second instance then we might expect to find the same introductory
> formula as we find elsewhere when YHWH introduces or identifies himself. I
> also do not believe there has been sufficient support for his understanding
> of the first 'EHYEH either, namely, as the subject/copula "I am."
>
> I believe the translation of 3:14 should be, "I will prove to be who I will
> prove to be," as we find in the new KB lexicon. This fits perfectly with
> the
> context and the primary sense of 'EHYEH.
>
> But I appreciate the discussion and am always open to new views. However,
> misrepresentations are never welcome or appreciated.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Greg Stafford
>
> ---
> You are currently subscribed to b-hebrew as: [dan.wagner AT netzero.net]

NetZero Platinum
No Banner Ads and Unlimited Access
Sign Up Today - Only $9.95 per month!
http://www.netzero.net