b-hebrew - RE: The Divine Name YHW

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Liz Fried" <lizfried AT umich.edu>
  • To: "B-Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: The Divine Name YHW
  • Date: Fri, 11 May 2001 20:50:05 -0400

The name YHW is the same name as YHWH, and refers to the same
god. To my way of thinking, it suggests that the H at the end of YHWH
is a matres lexiones (a vowel). It also suggests that the name was
pronounced Yahu, as in Eliyahu, etc. Some have suggested that
the Jews in Elephantine were from the North and that YHW was the
northern spelling, while the bible was written by Judaeans who used
the southern spelling. I think it is more easily explained by assuming
that the bible was written later and added the H as a vowel.
Liz Fried