b-hebrew - RE: _)aSHER_ in Ex. 3:14 (was "I AM")

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Peter Kirk" <Peter_Kirk AT sil.org>
  • To: "Biblical Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: _)aSHER_ in Ex. 3:14 (was "I AM")
  • Date: Fri, 11 May 2001 23:51:23 +0500

Dave, I don't want to get into further argument between prescriptive grammar
(this is right, this is wrong) and descriptive grammar (the language is what
people actually speak, not what the teachers say they should speak) as that
is irrelevant to the main point. (However, I do object to your arrogant
defence of a debatable position in the words "the fact - yes it is a
fact -". I was just reading on another list of someone who disliked
generative grammar because its proponents are seen as arrogant. This would
seem to confirm that prejudice.) I am not trying to argue that the grammar
here is anything outside the common Hebrew usage, though perhaps Dan is.

So let me try to explain my view in terms which at least approximate to the
generative grammar which you approve of. The following tree is designed to
work with a fixed space font. This is how I would
parse )EH:YEH ):A$ER )EH:YEH according to Dan's understanding of )EH:YEH as
a name:

/ \
/ Complement
/ / \
/ / NP
/ / / \
/ / / S
/ / / / \
P V C P V
| | | | |
0 )EH:YEH ):A$ER 0 )EH:YEH
I am named "I am"

(Note: the gloss "am" is for simplicity and not intended to indicate my
position on the present-past-future debate.)

Actually the tree looks just the same on the more traditional "I am that I
am" understanding, it is just the English glossing and the meaning which is
different. The name is (at least arguably) not just the verb )EH:YEH but the
whole sentence consisting of this verb form and the elided pronoun. As I
understand it (though without reading all of this correspondence in detail)
Dan is taking ):A$ER, normally a complementiser or relativiser (C), as some
kind of indicator that what follows is a name. Even if there were no ):A$ER
and no elided pronoun, I would still parse something like:

NP

)EH:YEH

i.e. )EH:YEH is a verb at a lower level, but functions as a noun phrase at a
higher level.

Now how does that pass for generative grammar?

Peter Kirk