b-hebrew - RE: _)aSHER_ in Ex. 3:14 (was "I AM")

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Peter Kirk" <Peter_Kirk AT sil.org>
  • To: "Dave Washburn" <dwashbur AT nyx.net>, "Biblical Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: _)aSHER_ in Ex. 3:14 (was "I AM")
  • Date: Fri, 11 May 2001 09:47:41 +0500

If I say "I will decisionize the problem", I have created a new verb, by
adding a verbaliser to a noun. Why is it different if I say "I will decision
the problem", or "yesterday I decisioned the problem" - which shows that
this new word has the morphology of a verb. Surely the only difference is
that in the second case the verbaliser is a zero morpheme. No need to wait
until it catches on, it is a verb from the first time it is used. So I
disagree with your "A verb being used as a name still retains its character
as a verb, even though it fills a "nominal" slot" (notice how your whole
sentence has become a nominal qualified by a possessive adjective). It
really is not that simple.

To bring this back to Hebrew, you can't do this directly there I guess,
though words like ZAQEN can function as both adjectives and verbs.

Peter Kirk