b-hebrew - Re: _)aSHER_ in Ex. 3:14 (was "I AM")

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Daniel Wagner" <dan.wagner AT netzero.net>
  • To: "Biblical Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: _)aSHER_ in Ex. 3:14 (was "I AM")
  • Date: Fri, 11 May 2001 16:38:32 -0400

----- Original Message -----
From: <GregStffrd AT aol.com>
To: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
Cc: <dstabno AT lifeway.com>
Sent: Friday, May 11, 2001 11:45 AM

> In a message dated 05/11/2001 6:59:23 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
> dstabno AT lifeway.com writes:
>
> << If He wanted to say "I will be with you" why did He say _)HYH )$R
> )HYH_ instead of _)NY )HYH (MK_ or just _)HYH (MK_? I believe that Dan is
> right: that He wanted to say something inherently ungrammatical (using a
> finite verb to fill a proper noun slot). >>
>

> I agree with you that there are several ways this could have been
> communicated, but I am not suggesting that God said, "I will be with you,"
> but by defining *Himself* in this way the meaning conveyed was one that
> would
> give assurance to His people that as the one who would "prove to be what he
> purposes to be,"

How does this conclusion, "prove to be what he purposes to be," relate to the
grammar of the Hebrew text as it stands? It's a true statement, i'll grant,
and fits with the context, but what relationship does it have with the
grammar?

Dan Wagner

> He would therefore succeed in His efforts to free his people
> through Moses, as he outlined in the preceding verses. So, again, YHWH is
> not
> saying "I will be with you," but defining Himself which results in this
> assurance.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Greg Stafford
>
> ---
> You are currently subscribed to b-hebrew as: [dan.wagner AT netzero.net]

NetZero Platinum
No Banner Ads and Unlimited Access
Sign Up Today - Only $9.95 per month!
http://www.netzero.net