b-hebrew - Re: Child theme in Isaiah 6-12

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Jonathan D. Safren" <yon_saf AT bezeqint.net>
  • To: Ian Hutchesson <mc2499 AT mclink.it>, Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Child theme in Isaiah 6-12
  • Date: Tue, 06 Feb 2001 19:22:25 +0200

Ian Hutchesson wrote:

> distant
> >>
> >> Aren't all these prophecies vaticinio ex eventu, as the status quo
> suggests,
> >> given 1 Enoch and Daniel?

Sorry, I misunderstood your question, Ian. Yes, I quite agree with you. And
so Isaiah couldn't have been talking about a future seven hundred years
later. He, like Jeremiah or Ezekiel, was merely extrapolating from existing
conditions .
]Please explain how Enoch and Daniel pertain to this.
Jonathan D. Safren
Chairman
Dept. of Biblical Studies
Beit Berl College
44905 IsraelSubject: Re: Child theme in Isaiah 6-12

> >That's what the messianic belief is all about, Ian, as I claimed in a
> >re-interpret it in view of its failure.
>
> Jonathan,
>
> I was talking about texts and the fact that those "prophetic" books we
knew
> for sure about were vaticinio ex eventu, and extrapolating from there. I
> hadn't got on to beliefs. If we are dealing with vaticinio ex eventu,
there
> can be no "failure" in the prophecy. I can't see the connection between
your
> comments and the post you are responding to.
>

> Ian
>

> ---
> You are currently subscribed to b-hebrew as: [yonsaf AT beitberl.ac.il]
> To unsubscribe, forward this message to
$subst('Email.Unsub')