b-hebrew - RE: Child theme in Isaiah 6-12

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Peter Kirk" <Peter_Kirk AT sil.org>
  • To: "Ian Hutchesson" <mc2499 AT mclink.it>, "Biblical Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: Child theme in Isaiah 6-12
  • Date: Wed, 7 Feb 2001 12:55:35 -0000

OK, Ian, I don't want to discuss Enoch and Daniel, though I think you may be
going too far to say "fact" even here. This certainly isn't a "fact"
concerning Isaiah, just an unprovable hypothesis.

By the way, when you refer to "vaticinio ex eventu" or even "vaticinium..."
(perhaps you were writing Italian not Latin?), do you imply that there
actually was an event after which the prophecy was made? Or would you use
the term where, in your judgment, both the event and the prophecy of it were
the author's own imagination projected into the past? Or where the event was
non-historical but already understood to have happened, and the author then
imagined a prophecy of the event?

Peter Kirk