b-hebrew - Re: Child theme in Isaiah 6-12

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Ian Hutchesson" <mc2499 AT mclink.it>
  • To: "Biblical Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Child theme in Isaiah 6-12
  • Date: Tue, 6 Feb 2001 09:26:14 +0100

>> >The Shear-Jashub prophecies of 10:20-23 must refer to a relatively
distant
>> >future, a time when Israel will return after being struck down or exiled
>> >(see also 11:10-12).
>>
>> Aren't all these prophecies vaticinio ex eventu, as the status quo
suggests,
>> given 1 Enoch and Daniel?
>
>That's what the messianic belief is all about, Ian, as I claimed in a
>re-interpret it in view of its failure.

Jonathan,

I was talking about texts and the fact that those "prophetic" books we knew
for sure about were vaticinio ex eventu, and extrapolating from there. I
hadn't got on to beliefs. If we are dealing with vaticinio ex eventu, there
can be no "failure" in the prophecy. I can't see the connection between your
comments and the post you are responding to.

Ian