b-hebrew - Re: Child theme in Isaiah 6-12

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Bill Rea <cctr114 AT it.canterbury.ac.nz>
  • To: b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: Child theme in Isaiah 6-12
  • Date: Thu, 08 Feb 2001 09:28:27 +1300 (NZDT)

Peter wrote:-

>Ian, you are back to your old "if" trick, plus calling your unproven
>hypothesis a "fact". If these prophecies are vaticinio ex eventu, then
>Jonathan and I are wrong, granted. But if they are genuine prophecies, or
>simply predicitions based on Isaiah's reading of the politics of his time,
>then Jonathan or I may be right. Your argument from one or perhaps two cases
>of vaticinio ex eventu does not prove (though it might "suggest", the word
>you correctly used earlier) that none of the Biblical authors could ever
>make any predictions about the future. You also have a problem with dating.
>For your evidence about 1 Enoch to be relevant, you have to date Isaiah 6-12
>not too many centuries earlier, but in that case how did the author know the
>facts (as he must do for vaticinio ex eventu) about what had happened in the
>8th century BCE?

I think its pretty clear that Jeremiah made prophecies/predictions
about the future of Judah based on his understanding of the covenant.
It seems a consistent part of his preaching right through the whole
of his life. It seems easier to beleive that Jeremiah really preached
that Judah was doomed than to beleive the whole person and ministry
of Jeremiah was created after the fall of Jerusalem.

Bill Rea, Information Technology Dept., Canterbury University \_
E-Mail b dot rea at it dot canterbury dot ac dot nz </ New
Phone 64-3-364-2331, Fax 64-3-364-2332 /) Zealand
Unix Systems Administrator (/'