b-hebrew - RE: Child theme in Isaiah 6-12

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Peter Kirk" <Peter_Kirk AT sil.org>
  • To: "Jonathan D. Safren" <yon_saf AT bezeqint.net>, "Biblical Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: Child theme in Isaiah 6-12
  • Date: Mon, 5 Feb 2001 10:15:01 -0000

Good questions. I suppose by "eschatological", I mean those things which
refer to the distant future, rather than the current generation. The
Shear-Jashub prophecies of 10:20-23 must refer to a relatively distant
future, a time when Israel will return after being struck down or exiled
(see also 11:10-12). Presumably this restoration after disaster is parallel
to the shoot from the stump of 11:1. So the prophet contrasts the present
Israel, under corrupt leadership and destined for destruction, with the
future restored Israel under a perfect and endless leadership (9:2, 11:2-5).
This eternal aspect of the promise also gives it an eschatological flavour
i.e. it is something predicted which goes beyond current experience. I
suppose chapter 2 also refers to this time of future restoration (compare
2:4 with 11:6-9), but I am not sure how this passage relates to chapters
6-12.

Peter Kirk