b-hebrew - RE: Child theme in Isaiah 6-12

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Peter Kirk" <Peter_Kirk AT sil.org>
  • To: "Ian Hutchesson" <mc2499 AT mclink.it>
  • Cc: "Biblical Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: Child theme in Isaiah 6-12
  • Date: Tue, 6 Feb 2001 10:43:11 -0000

Ian, you are back to your old "if" trick, plus calling your unproven
hypothesis a "fact". If these prophecies are vaticinio ex eventu, then
Jonathan and I are wrong, granted. But if they are genuine prophecies, or
simply predicitions based on Isaiah's reading of the politics of his time,
then Jonathan or I may be right. Your argument from one or perhaps two cases
of vaticinio ex eventu does not prove (though it might "suggest", the word
you correctly used earlier) that none of the Biblical authors could ever
make any predictions about the future. You also have a problem with dating.
For your evidence about 1 Enoch to be relevant, you have to date Isaiah 6-12
not too many centuries earlier, but in that case how did the author know the
facts (as he must do for vaticinio ex eventu) about what had happened in the
8th century BCE?

Peter Kirk