b-hebrew - Re: Conversion of OTA BHS text

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Rob Barrett/Almaden/IBM" <barrett AT almaden.ibm.com>
  • To: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Conversion of OTA BHS text
  • Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2000 08:27:26 -0800

I thought I'd toss in a comment about the suggestions that the SIL
conversion software might contain bugs. My best guess is that this is
*not* the problem. According to the Code Manual for eBHS from Westminster
(http://www.wts.edu/hebrew/whmcodemanual.html), which may not be 100%
accurate for the OTA text but is at least very close, the BHS line breaks
are marked by '?' characters. When I encountered the missing-line-break
problem, I checked the OTA text and indeed found that there were no '?'
characters present in the problematic lines.

My suggestion is that someone else check the text to verify this. If this
is the case, then the location of the problem is narrowed down to two
possibilities:

1. The OTA text contains errors (missing line breaks)
OR
2. The Code Manual I refer to above does not correspond to the OTA text and
there is some other way of encoding a line break (but this seems unlikely
to me)

cheers,
Rob Barrett