b-hebrew - RE: Conversion of OTA BHS text

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Peter Kirk" <Peter_Kirk AT sil.org>
  • To: "Biblical Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>, "Henry Churchyard" <churchh AT usa.net>
  • Subject: RE: Conversion of OTA BHS text
  • Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2000 21:13:04 -0500

Software programmers (I was one once!) are used to parsing texts, such as
programming languages and also documents encoded in standards such as XML,
according to the published specifications, which in this case are that a
line in the original is terminated by "?". They are also used to treating
white space in the input text, including new lines, as insignificant or
always equivalent to a single space. The way in which my SIL colleague
programmed this feature was precisely correct. The problem was only with the
text, which did not match the published specification.

Peter Kirk