b-hebrew - Re: Conversion of OTA BHS text

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Henry Churchyard" <churchh AT usa.net>
  • To: b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: Conversion of OTA BHS text
  • Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2000 18:36:48 -0600 (CST)

> From: "John Richards" <jhr AT universalist.worldonline.co.uk>

> I have no experience with any other conversion system. If there is
> a better one, it might be a good idea to let members of the list
> know about it.

I transformed a ca. 1989 copy of the CCAT BHS into a form appropriate
for my dissertation using the old command-line CONVBHS.COM program as
the first step, and then using a series of ad-hoc hand-written AWK
scripts. I could send the final result to someone who requested it,
but it's heavily adjusted to my personal preferences and the
requirements of my dissertation (i.e. I transformed the transcription
system of the consonants and vowels to a more intuitive system, since
I had great difficulty in "thinking in" the official CCAT system; I
disambiguated between _waw-dagesh_ and _shuureq_; I added accents in
some cases where an accent was accidentally left off a word in the
manuscript, since it was essential for the automated accentual
analysis of the "21 books" in my dissertation that every un-maqqeph'ed
word in the _q@rey_ reading of the text of these books have an accent;
I changed the double numbers of the CCAT accent transcriptions to
single numbers reflecting Cohen's accent classes; I arranged the text
so that each basic accentual phrase was placed on a separate line,
with the word with the disjunctive accent at the end, and the whole
phrase surrounded by brackets which show the accentual parse structure
of the verse to which they belong; and I disambiguated certain cases
of disjunctive _l@garmeh_ vs. conjunctive _munah._ + _paseq_ using
external masoretic lists, for which my available sources actually
differed in one or two last frustrating cases, about which I forget
what I did -- maybe tossed a coin ;-) ).

>> you won't know whether the SIL software is buggy or not until you
>> apply it to a BHS text known not to be corrupt (and any text with
>> non-tildecode material on the same line following a tilde code,
>> such as you have described, is in fact corrupt).

> I did precisely that. I used for later trials the version you have
> put on your site. As you say, it is far better formatted, and
> avoids the need to reformat the position of the tilde markers.
> However, it makes no difference to the end product using the SIL
> software. Unless I went throught it at the last stage before the
> conversion to Right to Left, there were always approx. 50 lines
> indicated by the L2R process as being over 150 characters long, and
> resulting in a garbled line in the final text (words in the wrong
> order, or even omitted completely).

Maybe there is a bug then. I wrote a quick Awk script that estimates
the length of each verse in the original unprocessed BHS e-text; here
are the hundred longest verses (if these verses show up among the
problematic ones, then the SIL software may have a bug, and if these
verses _don't_ show up among the problematic ones, then I would think
that it's even more likely that the SIL software has a bug -- unless
it's the first verse of each book or the last verse of each book which
is erroneous or something like that, in which case it would obviously
be an incompatibility between CCAT and OTA tildecodes which would be
causing the problem...)

530 DANIEL 5:23
519 ESTHER 8:9
465 DANIEL 3:15