b-hebrew - Conversion of OTA BHS text

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "John Richards" <jhr AT universalist.worldonline.co.uk>
  • To: "Henry Churchyard" <churchh AT usa.net>, "Biblical Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Conversion of OTA BHS text
  • Date: Sun, 12 Nov 2000 07:33:54 -0000

> The original form of the OTA BHS text as contained in the archive
> http://www.pemberley.com/janeinfo/bigpersonal/bhs-text.zip doesn't
> have any lines longer than 60 characters, as verified with the
> following AWK program:
>
> {if (length($0)>x) {x=length($0)}};END{print x}
>
> --
> Henry Churchyard churchh AT usa.net http://www.crossmyt.com/hc/

This may well be true, but by the time the earlier CCT files have done their
work there are a good 50 or so lines that are well over 60 characters - as
looking at the text in a word processor very clearly shows, and as the
R2L.CCT error messages also show. I agree totally that it is highly
undesirable to enter the text into a word processor at any stage, but at
present there seems little choice if one does not want 50 or so garbled
lines in the resultant text. Furthermore with the present choices offered by
the OTA site (HTML or ASCII and no option for right click + Save As) there
is no option but to load the text into a browser to start off with - which
is even less desirable. This is why I have so urgently wished that pressure
could be put on OTA to offer both a ZIP file and the right click + Save As
option.

If I am wrong that one ends up with 50 or so lines too long for the R2L.CCT
process, I would be very grateful (I mean it!) if you could describe in
detail how one is to avoid getting this. I would be delighted to be proved
wrong over this.

I am glad to see though that someone has got permission to make make a ZIP
version of the OTA file available. I have been warned that I was breaking
OTA conditions by doing so without permission.

John Richards